Medical specialty: Proctology
As food is digested and converted into waste, it passes through the small intestine first. There nutrients are extracted and passed along to the colon before they leave through the rectum. The colon also extracts nutrients from the food into the bloodstream. This happens via the walls of the large intestine. Simultaneously stool is excreted down to the rectum.
The most common diseases in the field of proctology include:
- Anal incontinence: inability to control defecation
- Anal fissure: Painful tears in the anal canal
- Genital warts (condylomata acuminata): Contagious virus warts in the anal and genital areas
- Anal abscess: Purulent inflammation in the region of the anus
- Anal eczema: Itchy, burning and oozing inflammation
- Anal fistula: pus in the anal passage and buttock area, can cause purulent inflammation.
- Foreign body in anus and rectum
- Hemorrhoidal disease
- Anus spasm: Sudden and painful cramps in the anal region
- Anal stenosis: Insufficient stretchability of the anus
- Intestinal and anal cancer, and skin cancer near the anus