University hospital Klinikum rechts der Isar
The university hospital rechts der Isar in Munich is a maximum-care center and part of the Technical University of Munich (TUM).
The university hospital rechts der Isar is one of the top hospitals in the areas of Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, oncology, orthopedics and in high-risk deliveries. It is a renowned international research institution where the researchers work with state-of-the-art equipment in an efficient infrastructure. Especially in the field of tumor therapy that is carried out in an own center – the Roman-Herzog-cancer center (RHCCC) – as well as in the areas of cardiology and vascular biology, the hospital can rely on experienced researchers. Scientifically, the center for cardiovascular disease is one of the most successful clinics in Germany.
As a center of cutting-edge medicine with more than 5,000 employees, the university hospital Klinikum rechts der Isar is able to take care of more than 300,000 patients per year. In 2013, more than 37,000 surgeries and 1,750 births were performed. In the field of anesthesiology, there are more than 120 medical doctors and 50 nurses available for the pre- and post-operative care and pain therapy of patients.
With 33 specialist clinics, the hospital offers a complete range of medical services. These well connected and experienced doctors of those clinics that are experts in their fields work closely together. Like any university hospital Klinikum rechts der Isar is specialized in each medical specialty and yet is also distinguished by its interdisciplinary teamwork, its research at the highest level as well as by its innovative diagnostic and treatment concepts. Depending on the disease, patients are collectively counseled and cared for by doctors and experts from various disciplines. Overall, 60,000 inpatients and 245.000 outpatients are treated at the hospital annually.
Klinikum rechts der Isar is part of the Technical University of Munich (TUM), and a maximum-care center with 33 medical departments, more than 1,100 beds and 5,000 employees who are active in patient and health care as well as in the field of research and teaching. The modern hospital always stays at the cutting edge of science in the field of medicine, and follows international scientific standards.
Already in 1866 the hospital had a separate department for surgery and internal medicine, in which up to 159 patients could be treated simultaneously. In 1902, it was already able to hospitalize 736 patients at the same time - even in times of emergency the amount of beds could be increased to 850. In 2008, the transplant of two complete arms was not only admired in the medical community but throughout the world. The operation with involved 40 doctors was so successful that the patient was able to move the hands and fingers already two years later.
In recent years, the hospital has been expanded by new buildings, e.g. for gynecology, microbiology and virology, the neuro-head center, psychosomatics and sports orthopedics. These new buildings also have an interdisciplinary research building and a new surgical center.
The interdisciplinarity is a feature that the Klinikum rechts der Isar in Munich holds very dear: The clinic has 21 established interdisciplinary centers that specialize interdisciplinary in treatment foci and diseases. In these centers, doctors of various disciplines work together in order to find the best possible treatment methods for each disease. The task and objective of the interdisciplinary centers is to treat together specific diseases under one roof and to do research in order to improve treatment options and to adapt to international standards.
The following interdisciplinary centers are housed in the Klinikum rechts der Isar in Munich:
- Endocrine Center (thyroid center)
- Endometriosis Centre
- Vascular Center
- Hand Center
- Mother-Child Center
- Neuro-head center
- Emergency center
- Osteoporosis Center
- Prevention Center
- Pancreas Center
- Roman-Herzog-cancer center (Roman Herzog Comprehensive Cancer Center) (RHCCC)
- Breast Center
- Center for Intestinal Medicine
- Gynecological Cancer Centre
- Musculoskeletal Tumor Center
- Center for Neuroendocrine Tumors
- Tumor Therapy Center
- Pain Center
- Transplant Center
- Trauma center for accident victims
In addition to the medical care, the employees of Rechts der Isar strive to guarantee their patients the best possible stay in the hospital: An own pharmacy, library, cafeteria, hairdresser, nursery, crèche and pastoral care are available to the patients, as well as an excellent and multi-certified quality management.
Since 2000, the premises and patient rooms of the hospital have been continually modernized and rehabilitated. 1,700 healthcare workers and nurses, paramedics and service staff are available around the clock for immediate assistance and care of patients. Furthermore, it is possible to book optional services such as accommodation in single rooms or certain medical services by contract. If desired, patients can book a special meal service on some of the wards, and discuss their culinary preferences with the chef directly and personally. The meals will be served in a separate buffet trolley.
But even if this is not possible due to medical circumstances, great importance is attached to comply with the wishes and needs of the patients and always take into account any possible intolerance, allergies or religious requirements: A diet cook and two certified dieticians prepare if necessary individual special diets with high quality products and fresh ingredients.
The hospital develops continuously the quality of its patient care in order to provide the best possible medical treatment at the cutting edge of science. For this excellent quality management, it has been certified in 2011 by Dekra, one of the leading auditing firms. In 2014, this award was recertified again. According to the criteria "DIN EN ISO 9001", a certified hospital must demonstrate regularly that it has defined and controlled treatment and support processes and that it aims to achieve ongoing further improvements in process quality and patient orientation.
The I. Medical Clinic and Outpatients' Clinic of Rechts der Isar Munich (cardiology, angiology, pneumology and internal intensive care) was awarded by the German Cardiac Society (DGK) with the "Chest Pain Unit" for patients with heart attack symptoms. The certificate proves the clinic’s exceptionally high quality of care to its patients and their treatment according to international guidelines.
- Dekra certificate for quality management throughout the hospital
- Certificate "Chest Pain Unit at the I. Medical Clinic and Outpatients' Clinic; certified by the German Society for Cardiology, Heart and Circulation Research
- Certified Quality Management at the I. Medical Clinic and Outpatients' Clinic; certified by DEKRA
- Certificate for friendliness towards family members in intensive care, awarded by the „Stiftung Pflege e.V.” (foundation care)
- Certificate for “Vaccination and travel medicine” and "WHO yellow fever for Dr. Alexander Zink (department of dermatology and allergy)
- Certified eye clinic: certificate for special patient-friendliness of the "Initiative Medicine Online" (imedOn)
Registered medical specializations
- Pediatrics and youth medicine
- Pediatric hematology and pediatric oncology
- Pediatric cardiology
- Pediatric surgery
- Pancreatic cancer
- Liver and bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
- Cancer in the mouth, jaw and face area
- Microbiology, virology und infection epidemiology
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Esophagus cancer
- Kidney cancer (renal cancer)
- Nuclear medicine
- Orthopedics and trauma surgery
- Plastic and cosmetic surgery
- Prostate cancer
- Special obstetrics and perinatal medicine
- Surgery of the chest (thoracic surgery)
- Transplant surgery (graft surgery)
- Visceral surgery
- Allergology and clinical immunology
- General surgery
- General skin and sexual diseases
- Bladder cancer
- Internal medicine
- Endocrinology and diabetology
- Gynecology and obstetrics
- Vascular surgery
- Gynecological endocrinology and reproductive medicine
- Human genetics
- Gynecological oncology
- Cardiac surgery
- Skin and sexual diseases
- Hand surgery
- Testicular cancer
- Hodgkin disease (Hodgkin lymphoma)
- Sports medicine
- Special pain therapy
- Sleep medicine
- Thyroid cancer
- Laryngeal cancer
- Psychosomatic medicine and psychotherapy
- Cancer in children
- Skin cancer
- Breast cancer
- Physical and rehabilitation medicine
- Pharmacology and toxicology
- Bowel cancer
- Lung cancer
- Uterus and ovaries
- Stomach cancer
- Brain tumors